Sitting in my room and looking through the window with the cool evening breeze blowing across my face, the thought of you crossed my mind. I decided to pen down this letter to you on how I feel and how I would want our marriage to be.

Dear future wife, who you are and where you are right now, I do not know. One thing I know however is that each passing day draws me closer to you. I look forward to the day we’ll meet when there will be that spark and our hearts will be bonded in love. My heart is racing in anticipation.

I’ve lived my life alone all this time but now I feel the need to find you, the person who will finally make my life complete. I’m a man with flaws, yes I’m not perfect and I know you are not perfect also and I don’t expect you to be. Sometimes I say things that I don’t really mean and do things that are not really my nature. I apologise for those right now.

I’ve got these flaws which will become obvious to you as we meet begin to relate but if after seeing all these you still decide to be with me, I promise that as long as I’m in my right mind, I shall love, cherish and respect you.

I promise to always listen to you when you simply just want to be heard. I will listen to you especially when you don’t feel comfortable sharing your thoughts with anybody else, and to the things you try to tell me when you’re not
even speaking. I promise to always listen.

I probably don’t know all the right things to say, but my feelings and words are from the heart.

Our fairy tale will happen, but remember it doesn’t go from ‘once upon a time’ to ‘happy ever after.’ So I can’t promise an all rosy experience. We are two different individuals with different backgrounds, we’re going to argue and disagree on issues but I will not want that to affect or change the feeling we have for each other. When we have a misunderstanding, I would not want us to sweep it under the carpet, rather we would address it and move on.

There are going to be times when our ‘love feeling’ will not be at its high. At such times it is our commitment to each other that will drive us to make things work between us. This fleeting feeling that we’ll have when we meet will fluctuate with time and that’s why I have made up my mind to love your person and not just your good looks (as that too may change). I will have you as my friend and we shall grow together.

Looking at my mum and seeing the sacrifices she has made some of which involved letting go of the things she would have loved to do, I promise to support your dreams and let you do the things that make you happy.

In times of storm I will hold your hand and we’ll face it together. We will take turns being strong in times of trials and pick each other up. We will have each others back and look out for each other when the chips are down. I will support you in every way I can and I hope you do same for me.

I have seen a lot of marriages fail but ours will not be like that. We’re going to make our marriage work for the sake of ourselves and the kids we’ll have. I would want you to understand me and not compare me with other men. I promise to do same for you. We will not allow extended family and friends to come between us. We are going to handle our issues in our own unique way.

We will be role models to our children and we will build a model home full of love where they will live happily.

These are not just the words of a man who is high on emotions but that of a man who is ready to take responsibility.

They are words with serious implications and I have decided to take this bold step with you. God helping us and with some effort on our part, we shall make them come to pass. I’m not going to marry you because my mates are getting married. Rather I’m going to marry you because at this point in my life, I need someone with whom I can fulfil God’s purpose for my life.

I know waiting isn’t easy. I’m waiting for you because I love you unconditionally. As I wait for you, I’m going to invest my time in making myself the husband that you will forever be proud of.

Wishing you all the joy and happiness you can get till we meet and begin this exciting journey together.

Lots of love from your future husband

2 comments:

Faith A. Sylvester said... 24 November 2014 at 22:36

Wow...this is beautiful...a true mark of responsibility....wherever she is...she'd be honoured....God bless you guys with peace and love...and long life and pretty children that is half you, and half her to run around your house.....also..togetherness forever ...in anticipation...Happy married life to Mr and Mrs Ayo Balogun...Amen.

Anonymous said... 30 November 2014 at 06:51

Lovely x-) (k)

 
Top